... Winter Storm Warning remains in effect from 10 PM this evening
to 6 am MDT Sunday...
* location... the southern I-25 corridor of Huerfano and western
Las Animas counties, including the cities of Walsenburg and
Trinidad and the southern Sangre de Cristo Mountains.
* Cause and timing... a strengthening storm system will move across
southern Colorado and New Mexico tonight through Saturday night,
spreading prolonged period of heavy snow and gusty winds into
* Snow accumulation... total snow accumulation in excess of 8 to
14 inches with up to 2 feet across the northeast facing slopes
of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains.
* Wind... north to northeast winds 15 to 30 mph with locally
higher wind gusts.
* Impact... snow and blowing snow is expected to create hazardous
travel conditions. In addition, heavy wet snow will be capable
of producing tree and powerline damage.
A Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow means severe winter weather
conditions are expected or occurring. Significant amounts of snow
are forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only travel in an
emergency. If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food,
and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.
Severe Weather Get Mobile & Email Alerts
Southern Sangre De Cristo Mountains Between 7500 and 11000 Ft Severe Watches & Warnings NOAA Weather Radio
Watches & Warnings
Winter Storm Warning
Issued: 5:22 AM MDT Apr. 28, 2017 – National Weather Service